Wednesday 6 February 2013

An Irish Geography Lesson



The island of Ireland is composed to 4 provinces and 32 counties. The four counties are Ulster, Connacht, Munster, and Leinster. (I live in Ulster!). All 32 counties are listed on this map, but I am going to focus on the counties in Ulster, the my province.

Ulster is comprised of 9 counties: Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh Monaghan, (London)Derry, Tyrone.

Before 1801, Ireland had its own sovereignty. In 1801 all of Ireland formed a constituent country of the United Kingdom. Then in 1920 (and reaffirmed in 1922) Ireland was partitioned in to Northern Ireland and what is now call the Republic of Ireland.

Northern Ireland is composed of 6 out of the 9 counties of Ulster: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Monaghan, (London)Derry, Tyrone. It is accurate to say that all of Northern Ireland is in Ulster, but not all of Ulster is in Norther Ireland.

Why 6 out of the 9? As I have been told, Northern Ireland was created to be "a protestant land for a protestant people." Northern Ireland was partitioned is such a way that it would have a protestant majority. Included that last three counties into Northern Ireland would have given the majority to Catholics, which is way there were excluded. As Northern Ireland emerged from the Troubles, the phrase "a protestant land for a protestant people" can no longer be used. Upon the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, politicians have committed to create a "shared future" which include equality and representation of all people.

What's the part of Ireland? During the past summer my family came over for the a wee holiday. We spent almost two weeks travel all around the perimeter of Ireland. Between my family's adventure and my own travels, I've seen more of Ireland than most Irish people! As so it is with (great) authority that I can say all of Ireland is beautiful...but the award goes to Donegal and in particular to the Gaeltacht regions of Dún na nGall.  There is just something so wild, so rugged, so pristine that captures your heart.

When I stand on the beach in Gweedore, I am just in awe of God's creation. The water is so blue, the mountains so majestic, and when the sun shines it would break your heart to leave. And if the natural beauty doesn't win you over, the craic n' ceol (fun and music) will! The Gaeltacht refers to the Irish speaking areas of Ireland and it people create some of the most beautiful and lyrical music ever. So all in all, I can complete understand why it was/is so hard for the Irish immigrants to leave this lovely island. I recently told Kate that I hope its raining the day I have to leave so else I will be crying all the way to the airport.

Since you can't be in Ireland now, and since mostly people don't travel to the Gaeltachts when there over, I invite you take a micro holiday and watch this video with contains pictures of Gweedore. It the song is Gleanntáin Ghlas Ghaoth Dobhair, The Green Glens of Gweedore, and it's the most famous song that comes from the region. So take a moment, close your eyes, take a deep breath, imagine the fresh Irish air filling your lungs and allow the Irish language and scenery to touch your heart.




The English Translation:

"Farewell to the noble mountains of Donegal
And twice farewell to tall Errigal, arching over rowen and ash tree
When I passed by Dunlewey lake, lying quietly in the glen
Behind me were the little green glens of Gaoth Dobhair, and it nearly broke my heart

Travelling through Glendowan's Hills, and Muckish behind me
I don't mind saying with sorrow and grief, that tears fell from my eyes
Westward to America was my journey, far across the wide sea
I said farewell for a while to Donegal, and the little green glens of Gaoth Dobhair

I never wanted to leave my own beloved land
But the foreigner's heavy handed deceit and treachery drove me away
It would be my heart's desire to return again, when I should get a little money
To spend the end of my life with my family, 'round the little green glens of Gaoth Dobhair

Yet farewell, farewell to Donegal, the County fine and fair
And to your brave men who in time of need, did not ever cower before the foreigner
There's a place in my heart for each man and woman, each child big and small
Who live in peace, without sorrow or grief, in the little green glens of Gaoth Dobhair"




No comments:

Post a Comment